Monday, May 2, 2011

For Every Woman Who Has Ever Worked As A Waitress

It seems to me that in my era a large percentage of young women were employed as waitresses, often briefly but almost always memorably. Probably most of us servers had the odd rude person now and again but for the most part people are what you would expect, a little tight with the tip but nice enough. And then there's the impossible @#$%!
If you have a waitress story, good or bad, I'd love to hear it. As a not very adept server in my salad days, I admire a good waitress. And like many of us who pray we never have that job again, I tip well.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Margaret--
    I was a waitress at a coffee shop/burger chain, and also one summer at a country club. This is so long ago, smoking sections were still unheard of. Customers smoked throughout the restaurant! The coffee shop customers were NOT the ones putting their ciggies out into their leftover mashed potatoes, I can tell you. I still always make sure my leftovers and dishes and plates are easy to take away from the table, and if I ask for something, I always tack on, "when you get a chance, no rush." Usually, that speeds up the service! Best wishes, Kassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you know me pretty well, I'm sure you won't find it hard to believe that I was demoted from waitress - not to busgirl - but to salad prep. One night, I had a table of six in a dark corner, and I poured out about a gallon of water onto the table before I realized I had forgotten to turn the glasses right side up. I only noticed when the customers began to get up from the table because they were soaking wet. I didn't get my nickname "Mr.McGoo" for nothing!

    ReplyDelete